Portsnap Update Question

Chris snagit at cbpratt.prohosting.com
Fri Oct 6 07:14:35 PDT 2006

I would like to verify whether my active installed ports are updated
when I run the portsnap fetch update. I've read the handbook and man
but I don't get a comfortable feeling that the question is answered
in definitive terms that have meaning to me.

I'm preparing to apply all the recent updates to the production
servers I have on 6.1 R P6 tomorrow morning and want to make certain
I fully update the servers with the window of I have. I'll cvsup,
build and install world and kernel through the normal process. What
I've been doing is then running portsnap fetch update to apply
patches to the ports. In doing so, I've not seen recompilations take
place and remained somewhat fuzzy as to whether I was merely
retrieving snapshots of source for whatever is in /usr/ports or if in
addition, somehow binary changes were being applied to programs I've
already installed (e.g., I have mysql and rsync installed from ports
on every machine, would they be updated). Perhaps I should be
remaking them?

Is the process I described, not updating the binaries of installed
ports? I could have answered this had I compared /usr/local/bin
before and after, but I have no example systems to play with at the
moment. I note that portupgrade is far more involved but clearly does
this.