PAE tuning

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Oct 5 12:59:14 PDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Paul Lathrop wrote:
> Many thanks for your advice.

Well, you are most welcome.

> Is this information gleaned from experience
> or is there an information resource out there that I might utilize in
> the future when I deploy other applications?

Yes, this information is gleaned from experience (why, yes, I have
installed 12GB of RAM into an 8-CPU Sun E4500 myself :-), but also,
yes, there are some good resources available.

O'Reilly publishes a book called "System Performance Tuning", ISBN:
059600284X which is a decent read, although it is somewhat oriented
towards classic Solaris, AIX, & other SysV-derived Unices more than
BSD or Linux.

Some of the online websites like Anandtech & Tom's Hardware used to
have some excellent discussions of BIOS settings, memory
configuration and timing, etc, although nowadays those sites are
putting so many ads and intrusive Javascript/Flash-based annoyances
in the way that their useful content is much harder to find or read
than it used to be.  (I've stopped going to both sites a few years
ago, when the proportion of content to ads dropped below my
acceptable signal-to-noise ratio...)

--
-Chuck