PAE tuning

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Oct 5 12:31:52 PDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Paul Lathrop wrote:
> I intend to deploy this system as a database server running Postgresql
> 8.1. The database is huge (30-40Gb) and can easily grow (it has
> gone as
> high as 100Gb).

Oh, yes, one more thought-- your specific application, i.e. a large
database, is one where running in 64-bit mode is highly likely to
result in improved performance compared with running the OS in 32-bit
mode.  If you've got a AMD64 or EM64T capable CPU, consider
installing the 64-bit version of FreeBSD instead of the normal 32-bit
x86 version.

--
-Chuck