Good References and or Books for learning ADA

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Wed Oct 4 20:54:16 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 18:57, backyard wrote:
> --- Beech Rintoul <beech at alaskaparadise.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 October 2006 17:39, backyard wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I'm looking to teach myself ADA using the Gnu
> >
> > Compiler
> >
> > > Collection and GNATS as my compiler under an i386
> > > FreeBSD 6.X system. I'm just curious if any ADA
> > > programmers out there can point me to some decent
> > > books/online resources for learning the basics and
> > > more advanced aspects of ADA. They would be most
> > > useful if they referenced ADA95 as that appears to
> >
> > be
> >
> > > the standard gnats supports.
> > >
> > >  I would also be interested in resources that
> >
> > describe
> >
> > > integrating (I guess linking is more appropriate
> >
> > of a
> >
> > > term) C/C++ libraries with ADA. This would mostly
> >
> > be
> >
> > > for basic use with X Windows and Motif, GTK, or
> > > whatever makes the windows looks nice when I get
> >
> > that
> >
> > > far, and OpenGL rendering, and likely ATLAS for
> > > crunching numbers. Unless there exists some ADA
> > > libraries for any of the above.
> > >
> > > I went to Borders today and couldn't find anything
> >
> > and
> >
> > > a search online would comes up with millions of
> >
> > books
> >
> > > that may or may not be useful.
> > >
> > > I guess I shouldn't be too supprised I couldn't
> >
> > even
> >
> > > seem to find a book on Bind at Borders...
> >
> > I can't help you with ADA, but the O'Reilly book on
> > bind is the best one.
> > Borders can order it and get it to you in a couple
> > of days. They even get
> > them that fast up here in Alaska.
> >
> > Beech
>
> thanks, thats the one I was looking for and certain
> I'd scene before but no luck tonight. ofcourse I had
> no trouble finding the complete freebsd tonight which
> is what took me hours to find last time amungst the
> books on bind...
>
> the luck of the irish is a lie...
>
> does that book cover running bind within a jail? or
> just the general configuration of the service?

I'm pretty sure it does, but my copy is at the office so I can't say for sure.
However, the book  is VERY detailed about all aspects of bind. It really is a
must read for anyone serious about running nameservers. For example, it shows
you how to split the nameserver so you can resolve your entire inside lan,
but outside it will only resolve the servers you choose. It's also is very
detailed about how to set up dynamic hosts.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com