installing perl5.8.5

Bawan Karn bawank at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:34:30 PDT 2006

I have installed FreeBSD 4.1. The in-built perl is installed on that but I
have to install perl5.8.5. I have googled it and found answers to install
perl, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can't install it. I am
wrting you the steps which I did:
1. Copied perl-5.8.5.tar.gz
2. Extracted this file which seems to be extracted on folder "perl-5.8.5
3. Now when I am trying       *perl Makefile.PL* it gives me result as
"Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or Directory"
4. when i am doing *make install* it gives me result as "make:don't know how
to make install. Stop

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can solve this issue.
Thank you.