Problems with installation

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 05:55:49 PDT 2006

Michael Dreiding wrote:
> I have downloaded the AMD64 version 6.1
> Every time I start with the boot disk loader, I get a
> menu with 7 options.  Whenever I select 1 through 5
> (Boot FreeBSD . . .) my laptop shuts down.
>
> I am running on a Laptop AMD64 3400+
>
> What do I need to do to get this to install?

Try looking for a BIOS update for your laptop, and try disabling what you can
in the BIOS config, and/or turning the disk & CD/DVD-ROM drive from UDMA to
PIO temporarily.

You might also try booting from a 32-bit x86 version of FreeBSD and see
whether that does any better.  More info about your hardware would also be
helpful...

--
-Chuck