NTPD not keeping time

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Nov 30 13:21:38 PST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Kris Anderson wrote:
>> Your clock is off by a little over an hour; while
>> ntpd can correct very large offsets, doing so takes a long time.
>> Kill ntpd, re-run "ntpdate -b", double-check that your clock is sane,
>> and then re-start ntpd.

> Off by an hour? Let's see the date is November 30th,
> and 12:41pm, that's what Windows says. Meanwhile
> freebsd says - Thu Nov 30 00:22:07 PST 2006. Wouldn't
> that be...nearly 12 hours?

I was judging the time-offset by the output of "ntpq -p".

However, if you are dual-booting between FreeBSD and Windows, you
will also need to consider whether to keep the CMOS/BIOS clock
running in UTC or in your local timezone; see "man adjkerntz" for
details.

It's entirely possible that doing a "touch /etc/wall_cmos_clock" will
solve your issue.

[ ... ]
>> If you are not providing time sync to a large subnet, please consider
>> using stratum-2 servers or the NTP pool, ie, pool.ntp.org, or more
>> specific regional parts, such as 0.us.pool.ntp.org,
>> 1.us.pool.ntp.org--
>> this is assuming from your IP that you are located in the US,
>> otherwise
>> choose the appropriate country code for where-ever you are.

> I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I did just
> that yesterday. Okay, changed my pool since it's to
> keep this computer's time correct.
>
> Thanks for your help. :)

You are most welcome.

--