NTPD not keeping time

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 12:55:39 PST 2006

--- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Kris Anderson wrote:
> > Here's the output from ntpq.
> >
> > webdev# ntpq -p
> >      remote           refid      st t when poll
> reach
> >  delay   offset  jitter

> > ========
> >  time-a.nist.gov .ACTS.           1 u  485 1024
> 377
> > 78.454  4307608 923174.
> >  india.colorado. .ACTS.           1 u  491 1024
> 377
> > 22.918  4307064 922326.
> >  lerc-dns.grc.na .INIT.          16 u    - 1024
> 0
> >  0.000    0.000 4000.00
>
> Your clock is off by a little over an hour; while
> ntpd can correct
> very large offsets, doing so takes a long time.
> Kill ntpd, re-run
> "ntpdate -b", double-check that your clock is sane,
> and then re-start
> ntpd.
Off by an hour? Let's see the date is November 30th,
and 12:41pm, that's what Windows says. Meanwhile
freebsd says - Thu Nov 30 00:22:07 PST 2006. Wouldn't
that be...nearly 12 hours?

> You should also note that your third ntp server is
> not answering
> queries, so you should try finding some other ntp
> server to use.  Are
> you providing time syncronization from this machine
> to other hosts,
> or are you only running as a standalone client?
>
> If you are not providing time sync to a large
> subnet, please consider
> using stratum-2 servers or the NTP pool, ie,
> pool.ntp.org, or more
> specific regional parts, such as 0.us.pool.ntp.org,
>
> 1.us.pool.ntp.org-- this is assuming from your IP
> that you are
> located in the US, otherwise choose the appropriate
> country code for
> where-ever you are.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I did just
that yesterday. Okay, changed my pool since it's to
keep this computer's time correct.

Thanks for your help. :)