stop a freebsd server from responding to pinging?

Wasp King waspking2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 10:55:20 PST 2006

1. How do I stop others from port scanning a server?

2. is stopping the response to pinging enough?

3. how to do I stop the server from responding to
pinging?

Running FreeBSD 4.2 and 6.1.

I changed the /etc/rc.network file to "NO" for
broadcast ping responses, and this did not work (still
responding to ping) when I rebooted:

        case ${icmp_bmcastecho} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n ' broadcast ping responses=NO'