Suggested Books & Guides on small bisiness LAN with FreeBSD

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Nov 29 15:29:18 PST 2006

You can make your FreeBSD servers your DNS servers and configure them to
look upsteam to your ISP's DNS servers for servers not known.

I prefer to buy and use printers with built-in networking that support PCL
and Postscript.  So clients can just send jobs to those printers directly.

         -Derek

At 02:52 PM 11/29/2006, wmc20 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I'm looking for advice or suggestions on how to [re]design a small
>business network with FreeBSD.  I know that's a pretty broad topic -- I'm
>not looking for a simple answer, so much as reference materials.
>
>Background:  for over 5 years we've had our business running with a few
>FreeBSD servers.  An external Internet connected box serves smtp, imap,
>http, ftp, dns (external and LAN internal) and http-proxy.  Another server
>(on LAN behind NAT router) has Samba file & print services, lpd and some
>other things.
>
>I guess what I'm looking for is "best practice" suggestions for
>configuring all this optimally.  Problems we have currently include DNS --
>if the Internet connection goes down, the server chokes, and we can't even
>get internal DNS.  And security issues, eg:  should the email accounts
>reside on an Internet-exposed server?
>
>O'Reilly sells "Windows to Linux Migration Toolkit" which sounds like some
>of what I'm looking for, except that it's for Linux -- but I've dabbled
>with that kludge enough to probably apply the concepts to FreeBSD  ;)  Any
>other suggestions on good books, web sites, etc?
>
>   -Wayne B.

>--
>believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.