CAM Status SCSI Error

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Nov 29 09:57:30 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 8:15 PM, Grant Peel wrote:
> Could not get anywhere with fsck. Kept Saying 'rerun fsck manually'
> which I did.
>
> Got the thing up anmd running using the SCSI verify media Utility
> in the bios. showned one error when it ran, maked the block as bad.
>
> fsck shows all f/s clean now.
>
> LOts of verbage found on google, but nothing that explained
> anything well.
>
> Disk is about 2 years old, not under heavy load.FreeBSD 6.1
>
> Should I replace?  (Seagate Cheetah SCSI 3 73 GIG).
>
> or is this 'normal' once in a while?

While bad sectors occur over time, they aren't normal.

You should install smartmontools (assuming you run FreeBSD 5.x or
later) and have it run a drive self-test, and monitor the counts of
bad sectors being reallocated and other errors.  If you don't see
anything bad and no additional bad sectors appear over the next few
weeks, you can probably live with it as an isolated incident.

Of course, you should also be prepared to recover your data from
backups in case the drive decides to die completely, as it may do
just that...

--
-Chuck