ping through ipfw giving unexpected results

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 28 12:35:12 PST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:07 PM, gschultz at scriptpro.com wrote:
> I tried this at plr's from 0.002 up to 0.47, and did the math:
> ping is
> failing exactly (allowing for statistical variation) 1.500 times more
> than expected.  This is too unlikely to be chance, so I figure the
> nice
> round fraction of additional failures is due to something I don't yet
> understand.  Can anyone explain this result?  Thanks.

Sounds like your rules are also being applied to the ICMP response,
as well?

If you have plr = .25, there's a .75 chance that the request will go
through; if the request does go through, there will be a .75 chance
that the reply will also get back, for a total .25 + .75 * .25 == .
4375 chance of no answer getting through...?

--
-Chuck