How to choose an UPS?

Nathan Vidican nathan at vidican.com
Tue Nov 28 05:35:26 PST 2006

a at zeos.net wrote:
> I am going to buy an UPS.
> What should I know and take into account to choose a proper one?
>
> Elisej Babenko

Aside from the obvious (that it matches the power type you use; ie North
American vs european, aka 50 vs 60 cycles)... You should look to the
overall capacity, (to make sure it can operate your hardware), and then
the runtime... for example, you probably want something larger than
500va on a dual-cpu server loaded with goodies... however a 500va unit
is just fine for the average desktop system.

My advice, would be to calculate the maximum draw for everything you
want on the UPS combined, (ie: 450watt desktop pc, 250watt monitor =
700watts total), and then find a UPS with a suitable runtime for that
wattage, ie: decent 1000va should give about 20mins for a 700watt load.
Bear in mind, that's at maximum draw and maximum charge on the UPS'
battery... so your runtime will vary and almost never maxes at what the
box it came in may say ;) Be liberal about it is all, and remember to
leave monitor (if any) off when you're not around.

Unless of course you're talking about larger (datacenter-oriented)
UPS'... in which case, if you're asking this generally - it'd be my
advice to you to seek out an electrician.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com