FreeBSD 6.1 setup doesn't see my HDD

Amit Joshi amitjoshi86 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 22:04:05 PST 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 23:18, Dima wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:58:32PM +0200, Dima wrote:

<trimmed>

> >> By the way there are some error messages regarding this on Ctrl+Alt+F2
> >> (during install), but they say nothing to me:
> >> ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
> >> ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
> >> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> >> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED>
> >> LBA=0
> >> They're repeated 4 times.

<trimmed>

> Yes, I can:
> ad0: 238457 MB <WDC WD2500JB-00GVC0 08.02D08> at ata0-master UDMA
> acd0 ..... at ata0-slave looks fine too (I'm too lazy to copy it :)
> Also I have ad2 and it seems fine on dmesg too.
> After that goes
>
> ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
> ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=0
> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>
> and repeats 3 times.

Well..I installed the FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE release lately, and everything went
fine as far as the install was concerned. Yeah, I had some problems getting
KDE to work properly, cuz of some issues with the Xserver, but they could be
dealt with. So for a couple of days, I must say that FreeBSD was working
fine.

Then I was looking for some way of mounting the FreeBSD partition on Linux
and/or vice-versa. But I couldn't do it.

The next time I tried booting to FreeBSD, I am getting the same errors that
you are!!! This time, I have no clue to what went wrong!
Is this a known bug or something?
--
Regards,
Amit.