Sendmail and smtp-auth against passwd

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Sun Nov 26 19:20:40 PST 2006

Hi,

i tried to get smtp-auth against the pass working but it is not
work. I must add users with saslpasswd2 to the sasldb but I want to
auth my smtp users with there "normal" password without the need to
add them to an additional db.

What I did is:
Installed sasl2authd from the ports.

/etc/make.conf:
# Add SMTP AUTH support to Sendmail
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+=   -I/usr/local/include -DSASL=2
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS+=  -L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD+=    -lsasl2
# Enable smtps for sendmail
SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+= -D_FFR_SMTP_SSL
SENDMAIL_MILTER_IN_BASE=yes
And recompiled sendmail in base.

Edit /usr/local/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf:
pwcheck_method: saslauthd

Enabled saslauth in rc.conf and start it:
saslauthd_enable="yes"
saslauthd_flags="-a getpwent"

Edited my .mc file:
dnl Enable smpt-auth
FEATURE(authinfo')
define(confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL',GroupReadableSASLDBFile')dnl
define(confAUTH_MECHANISMS',LOGIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
define(confRUN_AS_USER',root:mail')dnl

But it seems to me that sendmail isn't using saslauth instead it uses
directly the sasldb so all thinks I configured in sasl2authd is useless.

Has someone smtp-auth with sendmail against passwd running?

Best regards,
Matthias

Rich Cook