Reply: Mini-Freebsd system on ram, to reduce noise?

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Sun Nov 26 14:37:18 PST 2006

There are also builds for FreeBSD-5 and Freebsd-6
-5
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=86
-6
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=125

I use minibsd (FreeBSD-4) very successfully as a network monitor
in 32M RAM, booting from a 32M CF card, with a 66MHz processor.
There are two partitions on the card -
the root (r/o) and /config (r/o on boot, r/w during
rc.shutdown to save my configs and scripts)

Runs vi, tcpdump, net-snmp....
No moving parts (HDs, Fans, nada..)

mjt

Murray Taylor

Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems

takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
--Albert Einstein

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.