FreeBSD 6.2: ULE vs 4BSD

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 26 09:23:36 PST 2006

On 11/26/06, John Smith <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/06, Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On 11/26/06, John Smith <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > What shall I use as a scheduler on it? 4BSD or ULE?
> >
> > The general consensus is you should not touch ULE unless
> > you're a developer willing to fix some outstanding issues and
> > maybe take active maintainership of it.
> >
> > You can try it just for the fun of it, but your problem reports
> > will be met by a grinning "we told you so".
> >

> Thank you Andrew,
>
> I'm asking because I downloaded PC-BSD 1.3 Beta which is based on
> FreeBSD 6.1 and the default in kernel is ULE, so I wanted to make
> sure.

That's strange. I've used ULE for months on many boxes, but
much as I like it, I have to admit there are serious problems
with it. There are different reports, but it's clear you can't use
it in production environments. It might be okay to run it on your
{desk,lap}top system, though, but PC-BSD developers have
yet to comment on their reasoning.