IPFW & NFS

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Nov 22 10:34:11 PST 2006

> I have two FreeBSD 6.1 boxes one of which (IP 10.0.0.1) is an NFS server and
> the other one (IP 10.0.0.2) is, among other things, an NFS client sharing
> directories with the NFS server.
> It all works correctly and I can mount_nfs all the directories from the
> server.
> BUT, I'm now trying to use an IPFW firewall both on the server and on the
> client. My simple aim is to setup connections between the 10.0.0.1 server and
> the 10.0.0.2 client ** only **; no connections should be possible with other
> clients!
> Now I've tried the poor documentation I could find googling with the
> keywords "freebsd ipfw nfs" to no avail, I cannot mount_nfs any share on te
> client because something goes wrong with RPC.
> Concentrating on the client side (no ipfw for the moment on teh server) I
> tried the following

NFS is difficult to firewall, as it's not guaranteed to use the same
ports all the time.

The NFS server has options to restrict who can connect, see the man
page for exports.

Othwerwise, Chuck's advice was good.  Additionally, you can debug IPFW
using 'ipfw show', and by inserting "log" statements into your ruleset
to get more useful feedback.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.