Building Sendmail from ports

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Nov 22 08:45:20 PST 2006

David Robillard wrote:
> [ ---8<--- Text has been removed! ---8<---]
>
>> But, where will the port install my *.mc and *.cf files? This I can't
>> seem to figure out. I would like to know before I hit 'make install' in
>> the port dir. I would think it will install them into
>> /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf, would that be correct?
>
> Hi DAve,
>
> When you use the mail/sendmail port, it does install files in
> /usr/local/share/sendmail. Think of it as the base system's sendmail
> files in /usr/share/sendmail.

As I expected.

> Now, the .mc and .cf files are still kept in /etc/mail and not in
> /usr/local/etc/mail as one could think by using a port.

Got that from reading the make files, good to confirm.

> Note that you will find two scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d when you
> install the sendmail port. They are `sendmail.sh.sample' and
> `sm-client.sh.sample'. But you don't need to use them. The base
> system's /etc/rc.d/sendmail script handles both the base system's
> sendmail and the port's sendmail.

I use a custom rc script already due to my split config.

> The key for a pain free mail/sendmail ports usage is to do what you
> said. That is to edit make.conf(5) and to use special make(1) targets
> from the mail/sendmail's Makefile.
>
> Briefly, here's the way I do things when I update mail/sendmail (YMMV of
> course)
>
> sudo vi /etc/make.conf
>
> ##
> # mail/sendmail port configuration.
> ##
>
> # Do not build and install the base distribution of sendmail.
> #
> NO_SENDMAIL= TRUE
>
> # Specify where the configuration directory is located.
> #
> SENDMAIL_CF_DIR=/usr/local/share/sendmail/cf
>
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/mail/sendmail}
> SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_IPV6=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITHOUT_NIS=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_TLS=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_SMTPS=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_LDAP=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=42 \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_SOCKETMAP=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_PICKY_HELO_CHECK=yes \
> SENDMAIL_WITH_SHARED_MILTER=yes
> .endif
>
> sudo porteasy -uv mail/sendmail
> sudo porteasy -uv security/openssl
> sudo porteasy -uv security/gnutls
>
> cd /usr/ports/mail/sendmail
>
> sudo make
> # -OR if you don't want to edit make.conf(5), you can run something like
> this:
> sudo make -DSENDMAIL_WITHOUT_IPV6 -DSENDMAIL_WITHOUT_NIS
> -DSENDMAIL_WITH_TLS -DSENDMAIL_WITH_SMTPS \
> -DSENDMAIL_WITH_BERKELEYDB_VER=42 -DSENDMAIL_WITH_SOCKETMAP
> -DSENDMAIL_WITH_PICKY_HELO_CHECK -DSENDMAIL_WITH_SHARED_MILTER
>
> sudo make tls-install
> sudo make install
> sudo make mailer.conf
> sudo make clean
>
> Now, you might not need the exact same features of Sendmail as I do,
> of course. But the `make mailer.conf' is quite important. That's going
> to edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf which instructs the OS to use
> /usr/local/sbin/sendmail instead of the base system's sendmail. You
> don't have to change your PATH either.

Saw that in the Makefile.

> Why? Because if take a look at /usr/sbin/sendmail, it's not a binary,
> it's a symbolic link to `/usr/sbin/mailwrapper'. Just read the
> mailwrapper(8) man page and you'll understand how things work.

Yep.

>> I want to make certain that when I build new sendmail.in.cf and
>> sendmail.out.cf the correct files are used by m4. Currently I run the
>> following when making changes to my *.mc files
>>
>> /usr/bin/m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/share/sendmail/cf/
>> /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 sendmail.in.mc > sendmail.in.cf
>
> Take a look at the /etc/mail/Makefile and you'll see that it can
> determine your _CF_DIR_. But it takes a wrong decision. It uses either
> /usr/share/sendmail/cf or /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf.

Previously I didn't want to change the installed Makefile in /etc/mail,
I likely will now.

> To work around this, you can edit /etc/mail/Makefile or use the
> following at the top of your sendmail.mc files:
>
> dnl include.
> dnl Use the following m4 macro file.
> dnl
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl

Excellent idea!

> That's it. If you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me.
>
> Have fun :)

I appreciate the heads up, thanks!

DAve

Veterans?