FreeBSD date drifts significantly

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Tue Nov 21 22:26:31 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 03:34:32PM -0800, Neil Short wrote:

[...]
> It seems that if I boot into windows, log in and enter
> the windows time/date tool -- make no changes and
> reboot into FreeBSD, the FreeBSD date will lurch
> forward 10 to 12 hours. The CMOS date is still right.

When you boot into Windows, it will attempt to set the CMOS time to
local time by syncing to time-servers out on the 'Net. When you boot
back into FreeBSD, and you've got the system set up to use CMOS at
UTC, you will see the time lurch. Your options are to set up FreeBSD
to use CMOS at local time or to ntpdate-sync at startup to NTP servers
on the 'Net.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>