Building Sendmail from ports

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Nov 21 13:00:43 PST 2006

Good afternoon all,

I am looking into upgrading Sendmail on several machines. Currently we
run the installed version of sendmail and I have kept it up to date via
security patches. However, in the planning for "what if a Bus hits DAve"
scenario I would like to switch to using the ports. It should be easier
for those who come behind me later.

Currently I have my sendmail.cf file split into two files and I run
Sendmail with two queues. I do this for MailScanner on each server. I
also have my milter code and security changes in sendmail.in.mc and not
in my sendmail.out.cf.

sendmail.in.mc (*.cf) for the incoming mail
sendmail.out.mc (*.cf) for the scanned mail which is then delivered to
my internal mail handlers.

Looking at the port I can see where sendmail is installed and  I see I
need to change mailer.conf to point to the new sendmail binaries. I can
also modify the start script as needed to run two instances of sendmail
with two different cf files and two different queue directories. No
problems there.

But, where will the port install my *.mc and *.cf files? This I can't
seem to figure out. I would like to know before I hit 'make install' in
the port dir. I would think it will install them into
/usr/local/share/sendmail/cf, would that be correct?

I want to make certain that when I build new sendmail.in.cf and
sendmail.out.cf the correct files are used by m4. Currently I run the
following when making changes to my *.mc files

/usr/bin/m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/share/sendmail/cf/
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 sendmail.in.mc > sendmail.in.cf

Thanks,

DAve

Veterans?