changing swap size

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Nov 21 08:47:03 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 07:39:37AM +0100, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

> >>Yes, it is. I am planning to add more RAM.
> >
> >I mean, after you add memory, Are your computer still swaping?
>
> I tried adding memory to it but it wouldn't accept it. I tried 512 SDRAM
> 133Mhz, then 256 SDRAM 133Mhz but in both cases it failed to work with it.
>
> It is an older Compaq machine. I had to shut it down yesterday to install
> the memory and after rebooting I saw that no swap was used. Today I see
> that a few KB of swap have already been used. Currently thy system has 320
> MB RAM.

I don't know what your hardware problem is that it won't accept the
extra memory - maybe the wrong type or it needs to be in certain
groupings.

But, as for using swap space, remember that the system also uses the
swap space for paging and it always migrates out old pages at various
times.   So some swap space will show up as being used, even if the
system is not really swapping or doing serious paging.   The problem
only comes up when there is such a deficit of memory that it begins
having to run from paged memory (eg forcing some pages out to allow
some in for execution or data) instead of just hanging on to a few
things there.

Good luck on the memory addition.
Check with Santa Claus about getting a newer machine
that will accept lots more memory.

////jerry