Disabled HTT in the kernel but not the BIOS?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue Nov 21 04:40:18 PST 2006

I have a dual Xeon/HTT server that I run with machdep.hyperthreading_allowed
set to 0.  At boot, it detects 4 CPUs:

  FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
   cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
   cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
   cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  6
   cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  7

but top confirms that only processors 0 and 2 are actually running.  So, other
than top being unwilling to report more than 50% CPU load, are there any
other problems with running like this, such as the cache being split for the
benefit of the HTT that I'm not enabling?  I can live with the cosmetic
glitch, but don't want to take a pointless performance hit.
--
Kirk Strauser