Display settings question...

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 13:25:24 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:25:31AM -0500, Ne'Bahn wrote:

> Hi list, I've searched for my display (Hewlett Packard 7500) settings,
> specifically for Horizontal / Vertical refresh that are the values used in
> the X.Org configuration; no exact matching founded because all docs refers
> to Synchronization (Vertical and Horizontal) expressed in Herz too, so I
> must assume these values are Horizontal / Vertical refresh or are the
> refresh rates that comes together with every one resolution supported, e.g.:
>
> Display Resolutions    Refresh Rates
> 640 x 480                        60 Hz
> 640 x 480                        75 Hz
> 640 x 480                        85 Hz
> 720 x 400                        70 Hz
> 800 x 600                        75 Hz
> 800 x 600                        85 Hz
> 1024 x 768                      75 Hz
> 1024 x 768                      85 Hz (preferred user resolution)
> 1280 x 1024                    60 Hz (maximum resolution)
>
> Synchronization (Horizontal)
> 30 to 70 KHz
>
> Synchronization (Vertical)
> 50 to 140 Hz
>

> If it possible to specify wich range of values to use in this case with this
> info.
>

> Thanks in advance.

Assuming the values you quoted are correct, something like this should
work in xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "HP"
        ModelName    "7500"
        Option      "DPMS"
        HorizSync   30-70
        VertRefresh 50-140
EndSection

and then further down:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultColorDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
        EndSubSection
EndSection

It should be able to run at that ColorDepth assuming a reasonable
graphics card (or onboard graphics).

I think 1024x768 is more than enough for a 17" monitor. 1280x1024 is
more suited to a 19".

Disclaimer: The above shouldn't blow up your machine/monitor but it might do
and I can't be held responsible if it does...I'm just some idiot on a
mailing list ;)

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'