Best laptop for Freebsd

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Thu Nov 16 12:18:10 PST 2006

>> Is there any one model or product that would be better for Freebsd 6 (as
>> this is my day in day out operating system).
>>
>> Any experiences and or advise would be much appreciated.
>
> I'd suggest you do NOT buy a Sony VAIO. The basic stuff works - like the
> screen, harddisk and keyboard - even mouse/touchpad. But then comes the
> trouble.

[snip]

> But the screen is really great. So, my conclusion is that it is ok as an
> advanced DVD player/mail reader.

I can second this and I'm not even using FreebSD (win xp).  Avoid the Sony
VGN-A790.  Yes the screen is awesome.  But that's it.  Battery life is 52
minutes (brand new, I timed it, doing absoutely *nothing*. no music, no
vids, just sitting).

And just sitting, the fan kicks on routinely about every 2 minutes and
whirs for about a minute then shuts off.  Watching a video kicks it on
full time.  It's horrific.

Run away :)