vmware3 does not recognize hard disk raw device

Xavier Otazu xotazu at cvc.uab.es
Thu Nov 16 05:58:34 PST 2006

	Hello:

I've installed vmware3 on freebsd 6.0 from fresh ports.

When configuring a new virtual machine, it tells me that all
the /dev/hd? devices (i.e. /compat/linux/devhd?) are not read/write.

I made a soft link from this device (in /compat/linux/dev/hda)
to /dev/ad0. Then it recognizes read/write acces. But when powering on
the machine it tells me that it is not a raw device and it does not
boot.

I have

crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  86 Nov 13 12:02 /dev/ad0

and

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel         8 Nov  9 21:21 /compat/linux/dev/hda@
-> /dev/ad0

The original hda device created by the port is

brwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel    0, 0x00010002 Jun 12
21:12 /compat/linux/dev/hda_orig*

I tried to create it using the minor and major characters 0 and 86, as
in /dev/ad0, but it do not produce a working device.

I have linux, aio, acpi and linprocfs modules loaded.

The /dev/ad0 disk I wan to boot in vmware is different from the one in
which FreeBSD is installed (/dev/ad3)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Xavier