Dual core processors

Juha Saarinen juhasaarinen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 00:02:36 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:
> Looks like my hyperthreading is enabled and it is in the BIOS. I was
> told there was a dual-core in the machine, but not confirmed. But there
> should be two with HT anyway as seen, correct?

This is a dmesg from an Intel D830 box:

CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.20GHz (3217.43-MHz 686-class CPU)
Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf47  Stepping = 7
Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,P
SE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x649d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,EST,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Cores per package: 2

I think you do have a single processor with hyperthreading (logical
CPUs) and not a dual-core model.

To get hyperthreading up and running, you need to add:

machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1

to /etc/sysctl.conf or change it manually. Please google for the
security implications of doing this first though.

--
Juha
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha