Dual core processors

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Nov 14 23:04:00 UTC 2006

> I have a server with 6.1 and one dual-core processor and the SMP option
> was built in the kernel according to the doc below, but only zeros show
> up in the 'C' column of top after I've rebooted with the newly compiled
> kernel.
>
>  http://www.freebsddiary.org/smp.php
>
> I did not add APIC_IO as the doc suggested as it complains the option is
> invalid, plus I did not do this for my other 5.4 server which shows all
> processors in top. Both configs have a device of apic, neither has the
> APIC_IO option. However, the other server is running 2 physical CPU's
> and I see 0 thru 3 in the C column in top. Also, dmesg shows CPU #1
> Launched along with everything else:
>
> esmtp# dmesg|grep CPU
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (3010.67-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Logical CPUs per core: 2
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
> cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
> cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>
> Why would I not see any other CPU numbers under top like I do in my
> other server?

Based on your dmesg, I don't believe you have a dual-cored CPU.  It
looks as if it's hyperthreaded, which is different.

Hyperthreading is disabled in FreeBSD by default because of possible
security issues.  It can be enabled by setting a sysctl ... I recommend
you do a bit of reading on the sysctl mechanism or it's behaviour might
confuse you.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.