Rescuing mangled RAID5 array

Greg Eden greg at wholemeal.net
Tue Nov 14 18:30:26 UTC 2006

Hello

I'm trying to recover data from a broken RAID5 array (drive removed
whilst array was rebuilding!).

What's the best way to get an image of the corrupted partition and
how would I run fsck -y on the image. The corrupted partition is
1.3TB, /dev/da1s1d, usually mounted as /raid. I have another empty
2TB partition handy, /dev/da2s1d currently mounted as /raid2.

Following this thread

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-November/
134984.html

I'm trying

dd if=/dev/da1s1d of=/raid2/rescueimage

but it's proceeding very slowly (2MB/sec) and I'm not entirely sure
I'm going to be able to mount and fix the resulting image with fsck
at the end of it.

So is there a faster way to clone a partition (unfortunately the
drive array itself doesn't offer this functionality) and can you fsck
an md mounted image. assuming i should use md to mount the image?

There's nothing wrong with the drives physically, just mangled
metadata I think. I can actually mount the partition readonly but
many directories are missing or listed as 'Bad file descriptor'. I've
copied about 20% of the data off but the most important 50% doesn't
even have it's directory listed any more :(

Thanks in advance for any help

Greg.