It's time to bite the bullet and do a major upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Tue Nov 14 17:41:11 UTC 2006

Scott Schappell writes:

>  Am I on the right track by doing source upgrades?

	Source upgrades are certainly possible; I'll let others address
the sequence of steps.
	However: were this my problem, I would get a clean disk and
install from scratch.  Advantages:

	ability to adjust partition sizes
	old disk is available _in toto_ to copy data (and executables
		if necessary) from
	leave behind unused {system, user} {code, data} which
		accumulate no matter how hard you try to find them
	you're going to have to rebuild the ports anyway; this way
		they're guaranteed to build against the most recent
		headers/libraries
	if the install fails, you can change the cable/jumpers and boot
		from the old disk in minutes

					Robert Huff