Blocking SSH Brute-Force Attacks: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Leo L. Schwab ewhac at best.com
Tue Nov 14 09:21:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:16:35PM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it: review your config and make some
> simple choices to reduce the noise, see this article:
>
>   http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1876

	But I rather thought that was the point of 'bruteblock' -- it
reduces the noise by blackholing the offending IPs for an hour or so.  This
blackholing doesn't appear to be happening, and I don't understand why.

	Could it be a permission problem -- syslog doesn't have permission
to change the firewall rules?

					Schwab