Blocking SSH Brute-Force Attacks: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Nov 13 20:25:46 UTC 2006

Leo L. Schwab wrote:
> 	I recently installed FreeBSD 6.1 on my gateway.  It replaced an
> installation of FreeBSD 4.6.8 (fresh install, not an upgrade) on which I had
> disabled the SSH server.  Since all the bugs in SSH are fixed now ( :-) ), I
> thought I'd leave the server on, and am somewhat dismayed to discover that I
> now get occasional brute-force/dictionary attacks on the port.

Whichever service you have running, if you look in the log you will find
attempts of attack, ssh is no different, it's a target.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it: review your config and make some
simple choices to reduce the noise, see this article:

   http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1876

Rather than reposting myself - this issue is regularly debated, I think
last time (or last time I participated) was debated 19-09-2006. Check
the archive.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org