MAC OS X connection to FreeBSD?

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Nov 13 16:50:59 UTC 2006

David Kelly wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:03:20AM -0600, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
>

>>I am still somewhat confused as I have been looking at FreeBSD which I
>>think is VERY good and have also recently been able to boot up the
>>OpenDarwin 7.2.1 as well, but never could get the Darwin 8.1 cdrom to
>>install.
>>

>If your desire is to purchase a commercially supported server then an
>Apple Xserve would be hard to beat. I think you misunderstand the
>purpose of Darwin and would be better served with FreeBSD.

No, mostly we were just trying to look at the state of current
OpneSource OS's to try and get a feel for the advantages and
disadvantages of each type.

Also, not to be brash, but if I am missing the point of Darwin as you
say, then please help to clarify this for me as it is the fundamental
reason for this whole thread and I would really like to know what the
purpose are so that we can make informed judgments on FreeBSD and Darwin..

>>If I follow these messages correctly then it appears that FreeBSD is
>>just as good as Darwin although I had expected that the inclusion of
>>the CM kernel integrated with the FreeBSD kernel along with various
>>other improvements would have made the Darwin software better.
>>

>I think you are spending too much time keeping score on minute details
>and not enough time on the big picture.

Not really trying to keep score but again looking for the strengths and
weaknesses of FreeBSD vs Darwin

>>I would still like to do some more testing to get a better feel for
>>what Darwin can offer, but the bottom line is that all of these are
>>directly related to FreeBSD and are stable and fast compared to other
>>non-FreeBSD related OS's.
>>

>Testing: good idea.

This is always a good idea when evaluating technologies I think.

>Speed: the slowest machine is one that is down.
>
>Top-posting: Frowned upon among traditional technical communities.
>You'll get more out of these communities if you learn how to trim
>replies and insert your comments in the appropriate places.

thanks for correcting my accepted behavior on the mailing list and I
will try to improve in future posts.

Thanks and have a good day,

Lonnie T. Cumberland
OutStep Technologies Incorporated

Email: Lonnie at outstep.com
       Lonnie_Cumberland at yahoo.com

"Open Source...... opening the doors for the future in the world of today...."