cant login to my server machine(FreeBSD-6.0)

dhaneshk k dhaneshkk at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 14:32:50 UTC 2006

Hey can Any body help me?

I have a free BSD  box ,due to some power failure its rebooted , but booting
failed ,
The error I got was
Trying  to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a  Warning : / was not properly
dismounted loading configuration files.  /etc/rc.conf :9:Synatx error
unterminated quoted String .    Enter full pathname of shell on Return for
/bin/sh:

   I preseed enter key then I got  #prompt .

  but no login prompt  to login to my machine: only getting #

    more ,tail, vim ,vi no command are working(getting this  command is not
found)error.

  when I           cat the /etc.rc.conf                          ther is one
  line which is not terminated by closing  quots  "

But I tried to create the new /etc/rc.conf file   by the following method

  #mount -o rw,remount/
  #cat >/etc/rc.conf
but got error  : failed its a read only file . so here I got stuck. how can
login to may server(FreeBSD -6.0) is my version

can any body solve this problem then I will be very thankful to them.

Thanks in advance.

Dhanesh.