changing swap size

Zbigniew Szalbot zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org
Mon Nov 13 13:34:23 UTC 2006

Hello,

Following the advice about periodic freezes, I am going to add some RAM to
my system. However, currently my swap size is 512MB. If I increase RAM to,
say, 1GB, would I need to change the swap size to 2GB? If so, is it a safe
process (I assume this can be done using FIPS)? Would I need to boot first
in single-user mode? Any other thoughts? BTW - is there any easy way to
make sure how much RAM is currently installed other than looking into the
hardware? Top:

Mem: 146M Active, 23M Inact, 98M Wired, 15M Cache, 41M Buf, 22M Free

Which would seem to suggest I have 345 MB RAM. But from what I recall this
machine uses 320 MB RAM. Thanks!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot