Problems with sr driver and Wanic 400

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Nov 13 02:52:35 UTC 2006

What I found works is freebsd 4.x, and a Pentium 2 350-400Mhz
this was using risecom n/2 cards.

FreeBSD 6.1 doesen't work at any speed in this combo, it loses
packets.

It's a driver bug, the sr driver needs a rethink of it's buffer
structures.

also, there's a bug with the wanic 2 port cards that isn't present
in the risecom/n2 2 port cards, they drop characters when both ports
are active.

With Cisco 1601's selling on the used market for $25 or so, there's
little interest among the developers in fixing this.  Also the wanic 4xx
is no longer in production, another disincentive.

It would be interesting benchmarking this with Imagestream's
Linux-only drivers.

Ted