portsnap mirrors not being updated (?)

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 13 00:31:24 UTC 2006

martinko wrote:
> I've seen the following for around last two days:
>
> Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap1.FreeBSD.org... done.
> Latest snapshot on server matches what we already have.
> No updates needed.
>
> Is something going on with portsnap's mirror building ?

Two problems happened almost simultaneously, actually:

1. Due to some chaos surrounding the relocation of the main FreeBSD.org
cluster, the portsnap builds stopped for about 20 hours.  They're running
again now, but will probably stop on Monday as the FreeBSD.org cluster
continues its relocation.  (On the positive side, nobody can commit to
the ports tree while the cluster is in transit, so portsnap users won't
be missing anything at this point.)

2. One of the portsnap mirrors, portsnap1.freebsd.org, is not updating at
the moment; I've sent an email to the administrator of this server asking
him to investigate.  Until it starts updating again (most likely a matter
of hours), you can force portsnap to use the other mirror:
# portsnap -s portsnap2.freebsd.org fetch

Colin Percival