bpf kernel module

Vlad GURDIGA gurdiga at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 15:29:26 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> "Vlad GURDIGA" <gurdiga at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to keep very close touch with 6.1_STABLE cvsupping sources
> > once a week or even more often. I'm thinking of removing as much as
> > possible devices from the kernel loading them from /boot/loader.conf
> > instead, so I could rebuild and install them without a whole
> > kernel/world rebuild and reboot when sources change. I'm not sure this
> > is a correct way, any piece of advice regarding this would be highly
> > appreciated. :)
> >
> > So, I've successfully done that with sound and network card drivers,
> > but did not succeed with removing bpf from the kernel. Booting a
> > kernel with no bpf support, and with
> > ng_bpf_load="YES" in my loader.conf, the pflogd fails to start with this error:
> >
> > Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Failed to initialize: (no
> > devices found) /dev/bpf0: No such file or directory
> > Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Exiting, init failure
> >
> > And, tcpdump also fails saying that "no suitable device found". Of
> > course there is no /dev/bpf0.
> >
> > Is there any way to have the bpf0 device without booting a kernel with
> > bpf device included?
>
> The kernel module *should* work.  I suspect that there is an error
> message when it tries to load the module and fails.  You could check
> for that error message, or try to load the module by hand and see if
> you get a clue to the problem.

Here is how I did: commented out the "device bpf" line in the kernel,
built and installed the kernel, and added ng_bpf_load="YES" in
loader.conf. I guess this is the module for the bpf (is this correct?
I'm not 100% sure). So, booting with the new kernel, and the module
being loaded from the loader.conf, the pflogd fails to start with this
error:

Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Failed to initialize: (no
devices found) /dev/bpf0: No such file or directory
Nov 11 20:22:33 uxterm pflogd[10251]: Exiting, init failure

And, tcpdump also fails saying that "no suitable device found". Of
course there is no /dev/bpf0.

Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience to figure out how to
load this device at runtime. Is there any solution to this situation?