Sendmail Smarthost Auth

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Nov 12 05:42:59 UTC 2006

Well Giorgos,

  For starters the advice in that section is wrong for 2 reasons:

pwcheck_method: passwd   does not work on sasl2 and FreeBSD 6.X
You don't want to use sasl1 for many reasons, you want to use
sasl2

define(`confDEF_AUTH_INFO', `/etc/mail/auth-info')dnl
is deprecated.

Fortunately the section has the link for the Sendmail auth which
has better directions.  Note:

"... Notice: the default 8.12 configuration file causes the option
DefaultAuthInfo to fail since the ruleset authinfo is in the .cf file. If
you really want to use DefaultAuthInfo (it is deprecated) then you have to
remove the ruleset.
DaemonPortOptions (DAEMON_OPTIONS())
has now suboptions (called modifiers), one of which is `a'. This tells the
daemon to require authentication for all connections to it. ..."

I think it's been a while since you used that section to setup
SMTP AUTH.

Note also the poster wants to know how to make his Sendmail
auth into another mailer, he doesen't want to setup his own
system to accept auth connections.

Ted