Laptop Wireless

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Sun Nov 12 00:58:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Damian Wiest wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:56:46PM -0500, doug at safeport.com wrote:

>>> Can you post the dmesg?
>>>
>>> Assuming that particular device has a working driver, you can probably
>>> use ifconfig for most of the wireless settings.
>>>
>>> -Damian
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/hardware-i386.html#WLAN
>>
>> This indicates the ed driver works for this card.
>
> I don't think so :)  There are _no_ Belkin cards listed in the WLAN
> section of that page.
>
> In any case, isn't ed for ethernet nics?
>
> -Damian
yes my bad :(

Posting the dmesg output was a good suggestion. If there is anything useful, the
guys on this can help interpert it.

If the link to the hardware section does not list your card as I thought the ed
driver did, try freebsd-mobile at FreeBSD.org. man -k wireless will give you at
least a partial list of the wireless drivers. If you can match the chipset, you
can pick the correct driver.

Sometimes the Linux lists are good sources of information because they also use
Xorg.

As a last resort, I am pretty sure there is a wrapper that will run windows
drivers. If you can not get the name from the list archives, the project is
hosted on the SourceForge site.