6.x hangs on AMD64 again

Chris eagletree at hughes.net
Sat Nov 11 19:16:06 UTC 2006

> If your system is hanging then you need to configure additional
> debugging to figure out the cause.  Read the chapter on kernel
> debugging the developers handbook; without this information no
> developer can help you.
>
> Kris
>
> P.S. In my testing SMP amd64 is quite stable even under exceptionally
> heavy loads, so it's either something related to your hardware or your
> particular workload.

Hadn't considered that a user level debugging solution. I'll give it
a try.

We had considered it possibly related to our mix because the SuperMicro
dual xeon we are trying to replace it with was rebooting (not hanging)
without any error messages every 15-20 days. I thought it was failing
hardware. It's on 6.1 R P10. Maybe related in some way.

So much to learn, so little time. Thank you for your response.
Chris Pratt