periodic, short freezes

Karol Kwiatkowski freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org
Fri Nov 10 13:16:49 UTC 2006

On 09/11/2006 09:12, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running FBSD 6-1 stable with custom kernel. Occasionally I
> experience short freezes - that is the machine stops to respond for a
> few seconds and then happily starts to work again.
>
> My general question is what log should I inspect or what debugging to
> turn on to have some more info on what really happens? It does seem to
> happen under bigger load (something like over 1) but I am not really
> sure if that is the cause. Yesterday it ran for three hours with an
> average load of over 2 and there was no freeze.
>
> Many thanks in advance for guiding me in troubleshooting the issue.

Just a shot in the dark, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet:

have you used any variables affecting kernel compilation, especially
CPUTYPE, CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS? I remember seeing some strange effects
when I messed with them too much (we've all been there, haven't we? ;)

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>