Problem setting up PPTP server

Sebastiaan van Erk sebster at sebster.com
Fri Nov 10 12:46:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

I solved the problem, and I'll post the resolution for reference
purposes. There were two configuration issues:

1) To enable MPPE encryption the encryption option on the bundle should
be DISABLED, since MPPE lives in the compression layer and not the
encryption layer; thus by commenting the "set bundle enable encryption"
and "set bundle enable crypt-reqd" lines, this problem was solved.

2) Since the client (a linux ppp client) had the option
"require-mppe-128" enabled, the server got a config request for 128 bit
MPPE stateless, but then rejected it. The reason for this was the "set
ccp enable mppc" line, which should have read "set ccp yes mppc" since
otherwise the accept flag is disabled.

Finally, I have not found a way to force MPPE encryption on the *server*
side. There seems to be no equivalent to "require-mppe-128" or "set
bundle enable comp-reqd" or something like that in mpd. Does anybody
know a way to require MPPE in mpd?

Regards,
Sebastiaan