TFTP Problems

Chris cdtelting-ml at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 02:42:13 UTC 2006

I'm still trying to figure out why the standard tftp won't accept ack
connections from 0.0.0.0.  It will recv ack's from a normal IP address
just fine.

It can't be the firewall because I can set it to "pass all" and restart
with the same results.

The tftp daemon is started from inetd.  The server process is somewhat
different for a inetd daemon as it recieves on socket 0 instead after it
starts.  It creates a socket for further communication after it retries
the initial UDP packet sent.  It sucessfully sends the first packet on
this socket but it doesn't recv ack's for the packet though tcpdump
see's them come in.  The recv timesout and then it resends the first packet.

The only thing I can think of is that inetd must initialize it's sockets
in some special way to recieve from 0.0.0.0.

Chris