freebsd mount windows or vise versa

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Nov 9 20:22:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 02:27:55PM -0500, Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:

> hi people,
>   does anyone know how to mount and read/write freebsd/windows disk from
> windows/freebsd? mount_ntfs command can only read, it there some app that
> can write as well? thanks!!

The last I heard,  FreeBSD only reads NTFS.   Of course that can change.
I also don't know if there any ports that will write NTFS, but maybe.

I have a couple of dual booted systems in which the MS part is
in NTFS.  What I did with those is create another few GB slice in
between the MS and FreeBSD that is FAT32 which both can read AND
write and then use that slice to transfer data.
Sort of inconvenient, but it works.

eg. so my slices are:
  1 - Hardware vendor diagnostics that came with the box.
  2 - MS-XP in NTFS
  3 - FAT32 slice
  4 - FreeBSD

I could get rid of that hardware diagnostic slice, of course, but I
have actually found it useful a couple of times and it doesn't take
up much space and I didn't need the other slice designation for anything.

On a third system I used a utility to convert the NTFS to FAT32.
That has some size limitation, though.  Of course, I don't give
over an more space to MS than I need to anyway...

////jerry