wine on FreeBSD RELENG_6

Christopher Illies christopher.illies at ki.se
Thu Nov 9 13:07:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 07:07:37PM +0100, Tore Lund wrote:
> Christopher Illies wrote:
> > Is anyone successfully running wine emulating Windows 98 on FreeBSD
> > 6.X?
>
> Which programs are you trying to run?  I think you have a greater chance
> of getting responses if you tell us that.

[...]
> I have had some problems with wine myself, and I find the documentation
> and "good advice" offered lacking in many respects.
>
> But I want to tell you that things seem to improve.  I have just
> compiled wine 0.9.24, and for the first time it now runs my favorite
> photo editor without a hitch.  I believe it very much depends on what
> programs you are trying to run and the effort you put into it.
>
> Besides, what is the alternative?  I have tried qemu, and I think it is
> not the right thing for my purposes - I would rather dual boot Windows
> as long as I can make a handful of frequently used programs run under
> wine.  But this is obviously a very personal choice - we all have
> different needs.

I would need to run a program for scientific image evalution called
Fuji Image Gauge. It is rather old and only run under Windows 98. The
alternative for me would be to use a colleague's PC when it is
available.

For me the only thing that counts is evaluating some pictures in the
most hasselfree way. It would be nice to do it on my computer, but if
it doesn't work easily, I have other alternatives to do it. That is
why I was just asking about other peoples experiences and did not want
to start with troubleshooting, etc.

Christopher