Parallel shell scripts.

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Wed Nov 8 11:12:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:00:34 +0100
nicky <nicky at valuecare.nl> wrote:

> The whole idea is this. I have to extract two different databases to csv
> files. One takes about an 1 hour, the other 1.5 hours. The problem is my
> time window, which is 2 hours. So extracting one after the other is not
> an option. After both extractions are complete, it should load the csv
> files into a target database.

Andrew has a point - I think you are going the *very* hard way around...
an easier way , i think, may be :
dump1.sh : handles extraction of first DB. Checks its own return status AND
write to a tmp file flagging success or failure (i dont know, dump1.ok or
dump1.bad... or different content which you can cat / grep for...)

dump2.sh : same as dump1, with obvious differences.

 loader.sh : loops, check for both .ok flags ,  wait if not there yet and
handle as it should.

Launch a term, run screen (if running on a remote server..this would be a
must, i think...) , launch dump1.sh, then from another session, dump2.sh . Or
use cron if you dont like screen.
and , of course, launch loop.sh to monitor them both...

may have more components...but it's far easier to get it right, IMHO

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts ... for support rather
than illumination." Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Warned.