Questions on first-time installation

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Nov 7 20:42:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:33:30AM -0500, Bob Schwartz wrote:

> First, to all who answered...many thanks! I can see I found the right
> place<s>.

Sorry for top posting, but I think, given the conditions you specify,
probably the best thing for you to do is buy another drive - and
replace one of the others to experiment with FreeBSD for a while.

I would suggest replacing whatever one comes up first in the boot
order, but that is not absolutely necessary.  If you put it on a
drive farther down in the boot order, you would need to install a
FreeBSD aware MBR (probably the FreeBSD MBR) on the first drive in
the boot order as well as on the disk where you install FreeBSD.
That is no problem except it doesn't quite meet your conditions.

Otherwise, that SCSI drive might be a good candidate for swapping
out, since it is being used for backups and not the actual production
activities.

If you do not replace a drive to do the install, you will have to
shrink one of the MS-Win primary partitions to make room for FreeBSD.
There are freeware utilities that can do that if MS-Win is on a FAT
or FAT32 slice (primary partition).  But they will not work on an NTFS
type partition.  You would have to buy a commercial one.  I have
successfully used Partition Magic on NTFS partitions to make room
for a FreeBSD slice.    ---- Note the use of primary partition and slice
here.  MS calls it partition, but FreeBSD UNIX calls it a slice and
then provides for subdivisions of slices that it calls partitions.

I don't know about shrinking a partition on a raid.  I have never tried
that.   It might be a disaster or it might work just fine.  But, I
would be inclined to make that my last choice.

////jerry