Reading crashed SCSI disk

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:11:52 UTC 2006

On 11/5/06, Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to read the physical blocks (those
> that are readable) and save the data, from that I could be able to
> rebuild some of the mailboxes.

dd if=/scsi_drive of=/some/file/name

Should read anything readable, though without bs=xxx it may be
quite slow.  You can usually then mount the file via mdconfig(8).
If the partition table is intact you can specify that instead of the
whole disk. This can make the fiddly bit with trying to figure out
exactly what part will mount under md(4).
If you have an idea of how full the drive was you can save reading
all of the empty blocks with bs=xxx count=xxx which may speed
things up considerably.