Issue with fonts in firefox following gnome upgrade...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD PETER.HARRISON at DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
Mon Nov 6 10:48:54 UTC 2006

Hello list,

I'm having some issues with font handling in Firefox following the 2.16 gnome/gtk+ upgrade.

The issue is the same with the following set ups:

Desktop - Firefox 1.5.0.7 on 6.1-RELEASE p10 with xfce-4.2.3.2
Laptop - Firefox 2.0 on 6.2-PRERELEASE with xfce-4.2.3.2

On each machine I have the MS core fonts installed via the x11-fonts/webfonts port. Before the gnome upgrade, firefox made use of these font afterwards it doesn't seem to. This is most visible in the tabbed titlebar where it's now using an ugly (although anti-aliased) bold font - but it's also noticeable in the fonts used to render web pages.

These fonts are still available to X (I can see them in other apps - eg. gVIM or Abiword, and can see no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log).

I followed the procedure in /usr/ports/UPDATING to upgrade (ie. portupgrade -rf pkg-config\*).

If I start firefox from the command line, it starts OK but spits out this message:

GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child
process "/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2" (Invalid argument)

What was in the upgrade of gnome/gtk+ that might change the fonts used by/available to Firefox? And how can I reverse it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Peter Harrison

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure Intranet (GSi)  virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information security products and services.  For more information about this please visit www.cctmark.gov.uk